Did you know that approximately half of the population have frequent timid moments? You might even be one of them.
If you are part of the other half, you may wonder why you should continue reading this article.
For those of you who are part of the timid crowd, you may dislike identifying yourself as one who has timid moments.
The fact of the matter is we all have them at one time or another. If you are someone who is more on the bold side when it comes to networking, you too could be missing out on some very good referrals by overlooking those who appear timid. They could hold the key to the best referral you’ve ever had.
For the timid, YOU could be the best in your business. Yet depending on how others observe us, they may never know and could actually be referring to someone else. Yes, timidity could be affecting your business and Return On Investment.
So what can we do? Here are 6 steps to bridge the gap:
- Start of with a face to face meeting. Get to know each other and come prepared.
- When speaking, remember to also listen. Remember to allow for different conversational styles and appreciate the differences.
- Use open ended questions to draw out the other person.
- Remember to follow up with a thank you or a written testimonial. People like to feel appreciated and gratitude is often what makes a relationship sprout!
- Help others get to know and appreciate your network partners. This is a network, so let’s make it work!
- Have an open mind
By opening your network to include both the bold and the timid, you’ve increased your network by 100% without changing a thing. There are stereo types that surround all different types of people. Cast them aside and see the person sitting across from you as a unique individual. We can all complement each other once we get to know one another and then we have well rounded network.
Remember you never know who someone knows. The person sitting across from you may hold the key to unopened doors.